Ramadan – When Sins are burnt Ramadan – This word literally means “Jala dainay Wala” i.e. “One that Burns” According to scholars, in this month the Sins are burnt away.. therefore it is called Ramadan.
Ramadan – The month in which muslims defy all logic.
When you are hungry.. u dont eat, when you are thirsty , you dont drink.. when u dont feel like eating so early in the morning.. you eat Sehri. When you are dead tired and want to sleep.. you go pray Tarawih..standing for hours… So in this month, every muslim who fasts, Obeys Allah. There is no obedience to Logic.. there is no obedience to Desires.
So this month is the month for us to practice obeying Allah and stop obeying our Nafs, desires and logic.
Eating & Drinking & husband wife relations are all Halal actions. So if while fasting & obeying Allah, we can stop from these Halal acts, that means we are fully capable of avoiding actions which are haram and which are disliked by Allah SubhanaWatala, We can not make an excuse.. that ohh i just cant do this and i cant do that. If Allah subhana watala has ordered us to do something, that means we are fully capable of doing it, its just that we don’t do it coz we dont Want to do something.
Ramadan – Leave the body, Focus on the Soul
The whole year round, we eat, we drink, we sleep, we fulfill our desires..so all our efforts are on the body, we forget the soul. While fasting we stop eating, drinking, sleeping and fulfilling desires, so we can focus on the Rooh – Soul
But what is the Rooh – Soul ?
We say “My Hand, My body, my eyes etc…” Who is this “MY” ? Who is the owner of the body? It is the soul which owns the body, it is the master of the body.. and it should have full control over it. However, due to our focus on just the Body, we keep ignoring the soul and thus our body becomes our master. The body starts controlling. We eat what our body wants..we forget the halal and haram.. we sleep when our body wants.. we forget if it is the prayer time…When you open your eyes for fajr, it is your body who wants you to go back to sleep in the cosy bed. If all this is happening, then our body is in control. Body is a terrible master…but it is a good slave.
So Ramadan is the time to give back the power and control back to your soul. The soul needs nourishment just like the body. The body comes for Mitti ( Dust) and its nourishment also comes from the same. However, the Rooh is from Allah therefore its nourishment is also from Allah..i.e. The Quran
Ramadan – Month for Quran
Quran was revealed in ramadan and in ramadan Quran should be you main source of purifying, strengthening and nourishing your soul.
Is Your Soul Weak or Strong?
Signs of a Weak Soul with no power
- You dread the coming of Ramadan. you are like “Oh itnee subha uthna paray ga..ufhoo sehri kerni paray gii..routine disturb hoga.. and other similar stuff.
- You can’t wait for the Ramadan to get over
- You feel imprisoned in ramadan. You cant do what you want
- You spend your entire roza either sleeping or watching movies so you don’t feel the hunger.
- You cant wake up for Sehri, so you watch movies the whole night, eat something and go to sleep right after Sehri is over.
Even Soul has ears…but constant gheebat (backbiting), lying and disobeying Allah.. makes the Soul “Deaf”
Even soul can speak.. but constantly ignoring the cries of the Soul, constantly telling it to stay quiet, to shut up made the Soul dumb. Rooh ko gongi ker dia baar baar chup kara kara ker.
If you are suffering from the above.. that means your Rooh is weak, it is ill, sick..it is deaf and it is dumb… it is Retarted.. just how a human body can be retarted, the Rooh becomes retarted and sins and disobedience to Allah is the cause of this retardation. The good news is.. this retardation is curable and the cure is Quran.. reciting the Quran and Reading the Quran with understanding.
Signs of a Strong Soul
- There is not a major difference in you in ramadan and other months. You are obedient to Allah all year long.
- You Soul has control over your body – so its easy for you to wake up early for fajr , Tahajjud…pray all the prayers avoid sins.. big and small .. backbiting and lying are big sins.
How to Resurrect a Dead/Weak Soul
Take Full Advantage of this Month to implement the following in your lives.
- Stop counting the number of times you completed the Quran in ramadan. read and recite and understand ONE Quran with your full potential. If Quran was just meant to be read – Allah SubhanaTala would have just sent a written book for people to read. Allah sent a guide, a teacher with the Quran so it is well understood, explained and implemented.
- Along with the rest of your body, your ears, eyes and tongue all should fast. That means no gossiping, no listening to gheebat/backbiting. music… no lying, not even white lies…no slangs, no abusive language, no shouting screaming singing,no watching things not liked by Allah. Switch your TV off , no glances at opposite sex
- No anger, no complaining
- No shopping in ramadan. Do all your shopping before hand. Ramadan is not the time to be begging tailors to stitch your clothes.. its the the time to beg Allah for forgiveness. Last 10 days of Ramadan are not for buying shoes.. they are for buying Jannat. Instead of spending time in shopping centres.. tiring your legs shopping.. spend your time in prayers in front of Allah.. tiring your legs in Qayam(standing before Allah)
- Shab e Qadr is NOT on the 27th of Ramadan. It may be on ANY of the odd nights of the last 10 days. So do ibadat in all the odd nights..
- Be a pauper in front of Allah –Allah kai samnay faqir ban ker mango, app kainaat kai Badshah sai mang rahay hain
- Excessive duas all the time and anywhere. Keep a small book of masnoon duas in your purse, pocket and the car. Utilize your travel time in reading duas or Quran
- Learn some part of Quran and some duas.
- Instead of sending iftaris to your next door neighbour, who are eating things almost the same as you, better to send iftari to the poor who can not afford good food.
- Buy rashan of entire month for your servants
- give less work to your servants. be kind and generous to them
- this is not a month for socializing and partying.Keep iftar parties as minumum as possible, do not miss taravih just coz of the iftar party
- Make this month special for Allah. Strengthen your bond and connection with Allah. Tire urself in ibadat instead of tiring your self and your servants in preparing elaborated iftaris.
- Read, recite & understand the Quran.
This post is based on the lecture Istaqbaal e Ramadan delivered by Huma Najam on 5th Sep,07 at Creek Club, D.H.A, Karachi.
I took some notes of the lecture and re wrote it in my own words, adding my understanding of the concepts too. I also missed a lot of what Huma Apa said.. but i hope whatever i retained will be beneficial and that Inshallah it is implemented by my self an those reading it. Any mistake in this post is mine alone & not the speakers.
Daura e Quran by Huma Najam will be held at FTC from 1st Ramadan from 9:30 am..more details here